Sunday, February 21, 2010

Food Inc. Post 3

My favorite section from this part of the book was Marion Nestle's article Eating Made Simple. I enjoyed how she dissected the different groups of food and discussed the pros and cons of them from a nutritionist's standpoint. I learned a lot about the types of food I generally eat, and since I've recently become interested in this, I enjoyed the informative nature of her article.

I found the Questions for the Farmer article to also be informative, but also rather repetitive. I feel like it was an effective way for the information to be presented, yet it also became boring to read after a while. The Declare your Independence article had a much angrier tone set to it, but I also found it more interesting to read. On page 186 when Salatin lays into the food industry by suggesting that "safety is a subjective matter" really struck home with me. I found myself agreeing with much of what he said even though it was presented in a rather caustic manner. I enjoyed reading his suggestions about what you can do personally to help because it related partially to my topic for my argument essay. I feel like much of what Salatin suggests should really be taken to heart by his readers simply because it makes sense for both the environment and for your personal health.

No comments:

Post a Comment